- 2 medium tomatoes, choppped
- 1/2 tsp hing(asoefetida)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp methi(fenugreek) seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut, shredded
- 3 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp dhania (coriander) powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 very small ball of tamarind , de-seeded
- 1 small onion, minced finely
- 2 clovettes of garlic, minced finely
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons oil for frying
- Heat 1/2 the amount of oil and add the methi.
Fry for a minute and then add the tomatoes.
Fry till the tomatoes turn soft.
Blend this into a smooth paste, along with the tamarind and the coconut.
Heat the rest of the oil and add the chopped garlic and onion.
Fry till the onion turns translucent and the garlic browns.
Now add the spices(red chilli, turmeric and dhania) and fry for half a minute.
Add the blended paste, salt and hing and heat through.
Goes very well with plain rice or chapati.